ok, I'm now some better performance out of my FC array. "vos move" of a 4.4GB volume from one disk in the FC array to another disk in the array
only took 16 minutes (4.6MB/s).

Derrick's suggestion of upgrading to 1.4.5 with namei did the trick.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can upgrade the firmware or tune the 3511 array. It's the 3511 expansion unit without the raid controller. It's a
JBOD.

I think 1.4.5 and above has the no-fsync stuff enabled by default, which really speeds up operations that do a lot of file creations/ deletions such as volume moves. (if it doesn't, head over to the OpenAFS RT issue tracker and find the patch)

-rob