1) got backups? verify that your backups are correct and complete before you start your updates, and that you know how to do a restore (i'm not kidding!)

2) how much outage is acceptable? how many servers do you have? if only one, you will have an outage, but if more than one, there are things you can do to make it so users essentially won't notice any outage...but you need more than one database server, and enough running fileservers to move all your volumes. basically, make your plan beforehand, estimate how long it will take, double that, and let the users know about the outage.

3) and, errr, you've checked on www.openafs.org to see if the version of openafs and the version of the OS are compatible? you want to do that before you do step 2 above...8-)

best of luck,

anne

Quoting "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I plan to upgrade from 1.2.8 to 1.4.7 on my server. Please help me with
any gotchas I should know about.  While I am doing this, I plan to
upgrade from Redhat 8.0 to Fedora Core 9.

Have you heard of "optimism bias?"   It's that phenomena that causes
people to think things will turn out for the better.  I'm having none
of that for this little adventure.

Regards,
Jason