Hi all,
We have a multi-site setup with OpenVPN and are evaluating technologies for
serving files to local users and across the vpn.  From what I've read, OpenAFS
is a good match for our low-bandwidth vpn links, but in the actual
implementation it isn't working out.

Background:
We've implemented a bridged OpenVPN multi-site network via UDP.  The vpn has
not been specifically optimized for bandwidth, but that is probably a
discussion for another forum.  We are currently seeing about 26KBps sustained
across the links.
Our OpenAFS trial setup has two file servers, one with an RW volume and both
with RO volumes of the RW one.

The Problem:
In our simple tests, we made a change to the RW volume and attempted a release.
 In the case where both servers are at the same site (and therefore have the
full lan bandwidth), a vos release works perfectly.  In the case where the two
servers are at different sites, the vos release fails for all practical
purposes: that is, it never finishes and there doesn't seem to be any serious
amount of communication across the vpn between the two servers.  There are no
relevant error messages in the afs logs, except for the every 30-second
info/warning messages about the vos release continuing.  There are obviously
firewalls involved when operating across the vpn, but it is a fully-bridged
network and an analysis of dropped packets at the firewalls and the file server
machines does not show anything related to AFS.

Our questions:
Where should we go from here?  Is our vpn bandwidth too low to support openafs?
 Is there some additional analysis to perform?  Is there a better afs setup to
use?  Any hints on vpn tweaks to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance,
-Chaz Chandler