Why wouldn't vos do the same thing that fs getfid currently does to get
the vnode?

fs getfid is in the cache manager.  Since vos is user-space, it
doesn't have access to the same routines.  An RPC to the volserver was
suggested as the best way to handle that.  My follow-up question on #3
is primarily to ask if that's how we want it handled, and if we want
to expose that interface via a vos command.  In other words, would a
command like:

vos getvnode -volume $vol -relative_path path

be useful.

Of course I had thought a little about the best user interface when designing the current syntax of "vos split". In order to not mix volserver interfaces and cache manager/fileserver interfaces I decided to do it the most simple way. You always can write a wrapper running on a machine with AFS mounted like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
vnode=`fs getfid $3 | awk -F\. '{print $2}'`

vos split $1 $2 $vnode

I think before reinventing a cache manager within the volserver this is a much easier approach.

-Hartmut

It should, of course, double-check that the directory name given is within
the volume that one is splitting.

Definitely.

Hartmut Reuter                  e-mail          reu...@rzg.mpg.de
                                phone            +49-89-3299-1328
                                fax              +49-89-3299-1301
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)    web    http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~hwr
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)