We see this behavior on occasion as well. Somethings we try:
1) we completely erase the afscache file -- actually stopping the afs
client, renaming the existing afscache file, then restarting the client
2) watch the event logs for signs the afs service is stopping and restarting
unexpectedly -- we have seen the afs client service restart itself and in
process loose tokens --
3) We did get a patch to fix one problem dealing with cache corruption cause
by some old file servers (I think, though secure-endpoints can more fully
comment on the fix)
4) Most of the time, we struggle with this kind of issue for days, then the
issue vanishes -- The symptoms are as outlined below, windows client, unable
to access some locations in afs for which they do have appropriate acls, but
which a specific client machine fails to open.