> From: Holger Rauch
> and would like to know why UDP instead of TCP has been chosen as the
> transport protocol?

The choice of UDP is historical.  I would guess that there
were many reasons it was chosen for the original
implementation, many of them would no longer apply with
today's system implementations, but existed then.

The limitations of UDP as used with OpenAFS are understood,
and as documented at http://www.openafs.org/pages/roadmap.html
RxTCP (a TCP transport for the Rx protocol used) has been on
the roadmap for quite some time.  Prototype code has been
written.  A lot of thinking has been done as to how to provide
UDP/TCP compatibility on the clients and servers (not all would
be able to change at the same time).  A lot more needs to be
done for the work to be completed (and last I recall there were
some dependencies on other items on the roadmap).  I believe
the effort levels for RxTCP have been consistently estimated
as being around two person years.