Lars:

I did get past the issuing of DES tickets. I have other problems (see my recent message to the list), but I did enable DES tickets on 2008R2. I did the following (not all may be required).

- In the DC's Local Security Policy, I enabled all ciphers by checking all 6 boxes at Security Settings \ Local Policies \ Security Options \ "Network security: Configure encryption types allowed for Kerberos"

- In AD in the Default Domain Controllers Policy, Computer Configuration \ Policies \ Administrative Templates \ Ssytem/Net Logon \ "Allow cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0" (Enable). [I'd bet this step isn't necessary; I was grasping when I tried it and haven't backed out to check yet.]

- Add a REG_DWORD (32 bit) named KdcUseRequestedEtypesForTickets with value 1 at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\kdc. Without this, the DC won't talk DES to clients, even if you do extract a DES-only keytab (you'll see "KDC has no support for encryption type" messages).

- Reboot the DC (at least restart the KDC process is required)

- Create your afscell account in AD.

- Checked "Use Kerberos DES encryption types for this account" on the Account tab of the afscell user account in AD. I'd also recommend password never expires.

- Extract the keytab similarly to this. Adjust to taste:
ktpass -princ afs/celln...@addomainname -mapuser afsc...@addomainname -mapOp add -out afs-keytab +rndPass -crypto DES-CBC-CRC +DesOnly -ptype KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL +DumpSalt -kvno 3

Note that in my experience, your specified kvno must equal or exceed the number of times the user's keytab has been extracted. If you specify a kvno of 3, then go back and ask for a kvno of 1 for the same user account, you won't get it (but you will get a keytab with the next higher kvno). It's recommended to verify the kvno and the etype of the keytab using your favorite method prior to importing into your afs keyfile.

Also, I had to delete and re-create my afscell user's account in AD after making the changes to the DC detailed above to enable DES. Extracting a keytab for an account made before the changes didn't work for me. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
                                      -Robert A. Heinlein