On 17 Mar 2010, at 20:24, emat...@yahoo.com wrote:
I have noticed a significant delay (30 seconds or more) for a user logged in through an AFS account to open the root account via the command "su". This delay does not happen for a local account. I'm not sure where to start looking for this one. Any ideas?

Are you using pam_afs_session? We've just discovered that when that is enabled in the su stack, becoming root takes a very long time, whether or not you have set the minimum_uid or not. The simple solution is to not run pam_afs_session in the 'su' stack.

More investigation is required into what's actually going wrong, but nobody here has had a chance to do so yet. Given that just removing pam_afs_session from the su stack gives us the behaviour we want, I'm not sure how much more investigation we'll end up doing.

It might be worth speaking to Russ to see if anyone else is seeing this problem, or he might chime in here.

Cheers,

Simon.