Yes, I am using pam_afs_session.  You've lost me about not using it in the su
stack.  Can you elaborate?  Here's my system-auth-ac if it helps...

auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_fprintd.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        [success=ok default=1]    pam_krb5.so use_first_pass minimum_uid=100
auth      [default=done]  pam_afs_session.so program=/usr/bin/aklog
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        required      pam_deny.so

account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_krb5.so
minimum_uid=100
account     required      pam_permit.so

password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass
use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     optional      pam_krb5.so
session     required      pam_afs_session.so program=/usr/bin/aklog
session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet
use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so

Thanks,
eric