On 17 Mar 2010, at 21:52, emat...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Since pam_afs_session.so is not listed, I'd guess you are right, and that is
> not the source of the delay.

system-auth is listed, which means that it uses the contents of the system auth
stack that you have already posted. So, I suspect you are actually using
pam_afs_session (and if the problem appears when it's there, and disappears
when its gone, that would seem to hint at that too)

> If any other thoughts come to mind, let me know.

One thought that has just sprung to mind - you mentioned that /etc/profile had
an xauth call in it. Do things get better if this is commented out? It's
possible that pam_afs_session isn't actually the culprit, but the problem is
caused because, when you are root, you can't update the xauthority file of the
user you came from.

Cheers,

Simon.