On 20 Aug 2010, at 15:05, Gémes Géza wrote:

> We currently have a small cell (2 db and file-servers
> (1.4.7.dfsg1-6+lenny1), ~50 volumes). But plan to move the user home
> dirs to afs resulting in >1000 volumes. Being afraid of the fs based
> startup times we decided to move to a 1.5 based dafs prior to complete
> the data migration to afs.

If you have sufficient hardware, I would urge you to perform your migration by
using AFS's tools, rather than playing fast and loose with where volumes are
mounted. So, bring up some dafs fileservers, and use vos move to migrate
volumes from the 1.4 servers to the 1.5 ones. This has the advantage that
you've got a very simple backout plan if things go wrong for any reason, as
well as allowing you to perform a staged migration without any downtime.

> The data is on a Coraid SAN, so it will be
> simply unmounted from the old fileservers, and mounted to the new ones,
> but what operations would we need to perform on the ubik data?

If you do want to go down this route, you will need to update the VLDB location
for every volume that has changed fileservers. vos syncvldb and vos syncserv
should do this for you - but there will be a period of outage for all of your
clients.

Cheers,

Simon.