We are running AFS as both servers and clients under a combination of vmware
products.

We have 3 AFS servers running under ESXi.  Our student UNIX login servers
are also running under ESXI and are running the client.  Both have worked
flawlessly.  I am also running a fourth AFS server under VMWare fusion, and
its been running flawlessly as well (it was just tricky to have it startup
at boot).  We use VMWare workstation / fusion for a number of courses, and
each have AFS client installed.  Again, students use those in a variety of
abusive ways and it has worked fine.

We *were* using 8.10 on our servers - so I wasn't using 8.04.  You may want
to look to ensure that your cache settings on the clients aren't set to use
memory, that can make things pretty slow - esp. since VMWare places game
with the guest's physical memory and how its actually allocated.  My
intuition is that the memory cache would reduce performance for the virtual
machine.

-tom