On 30/09/2010 19:12, Andrew Deason wrote:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:00:08 +0200
Stephan Wiesand<stephan.wies...@desy.de>  wrote:

Alas, ZFS is only available with an OS that's *really* troublesome to
maintain. Frankly, I wouldn't mind the cost. But those patch orgies
make Solaris a no-go here. And two decades after the invention of RPMS
and DEBs, they come up with ... IPS. Sorry, no matter how good and
exceptional ZFS may be, it's just not worth it...
Technically you also have Nexenta, though I personally don't know how
much better it actually is. Recent developments have also made me wonder
about the possibility of a Debian GNU/Illumos or whatever it would be
called.

Well, that's what Nexenta is, isn't it?
I mean it is based on Debian + Solaris kernel (including zfs, dtrace, ...) - and yes, it does use dpkg, etc.

See http://www.nexenta.org/

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com