On 1/28/2011 12:33 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:10:38 -0500
Jeff Blaine<jbla...@kickflop.net>  wrote:

The last time we brought our fileservers down (cleanly, according to
"shutdown" info via bos status), it struck me as odd that salvages
were needed once it came up.  I sort of brushed it off.

As in, it salvaged everything automatically when it came back up, or
volumes were not attached when it came back up, and you needed to
salvage to bring them online?

The latter.

We've done it again, and the same situation is presenting itself,
and I'm really confused as to how that is and what is happening
incorrectly.  One of the three cleanly shutdown fileservers came
up with hundreds of unattachable volumes, and is salvaging now
by our hand.

Well, why are they not attaching? FileLog should tell you. And the
salvage logs should say what they fixed, if anything, to bring them back
online.

Yes, I am waiting on that to all finish before I examine and reply.

Also, salvaging an entire partition at once may be quite a bit faster
than salvaging volumes individually, depending on how many volumes you
have. The fileserver needs to be shutdown for that to happen, though.

I didn't trust it at all and forced a salvage of the whole server.
There were many unattachable volumes on every partition.