On 5 Apr 2011, at 14:59, John Hascall wrote:

>> On 5 Apr 2011, at 14:35, John Hascall wrote:
>>> I downloaded openafs-1.6.0pre4 source,
>> [...]
>>> Then the instructions kinda petered out...
>
>> What is your desired end product, and what instructions are you following?
>
> A functioning afs client.  The README that was in the source bundle.

The README really just provides information on how to build the source package.
Information on how to go from a built source tree to a running client is
contained in the Quick Start Guide, which is available from docs.openafs.org

However, if you just want a running client, rather than a development tree, I
would strongly encourage you to use the SRPM. The packaging in the SRPM is more
complete and better tested than what you get from a "make install". In
particular, it will install and configure a proper RC script so that the client
is correctly started and stopped. There should be an SRPM available for
1.6.0pre4 from the OpenAFS website, you can build this by simply using the
'rpmbuild' tool.

Cheers,

Simon.