On 11 Aug 2011, at 17:44, Dale Pontius wrote:
> I was under the impression that 1.4.14.1 was it, and that 1.6.0 would be the
> next release out, which begs the next question.
>
> Will 1.4.15 support the linux-3.0.x kernel series?  It was actually
> linux-2.6.39 that drove me off of 1.4.14.1.

So, I think the current plan is that we will do 1.4.15 as a security release
(this will be 1.4.14.1 with only a couple of security fixes applied), and
1.4.16 (which has all of the bug fixes that have been collecting in the 1.4
branch since 1.4.14).

After that, we'll see. If the uptake of 1.6 is rapid enough, then 1.4.16 may be
the last 1.4 series release. If there are still a large number of users on
1.4.x, and sufficiently serious bugs appear, then there may be further 1.4.x
series releases.

None of the recent Linux fixes (including the change for Linux 3.0 support)
have been backported to the 1.4 branch yet. This is primarily because we've all
be focussing on getting 1.6 out of the door. If those backports are simple then
I'd imagine that they'll appear in 1.4.16, otherwise it's going to depend on
whether there is sufficient demand for that work to be done.

It's worth bearing in mind that anyone can submit backports to gerrit. Use git
cherry-pick -x to pull the change that you are interested in onto a checkout of
the openafs-stable-1_4_x branch. Test that it works as expected, then edit the
change's commit message to remove the existing Commit-Id line. Finally, push
the change to the refs/for/openafs-stable-1_4_x branch of gerrit.

Cheers,

Simon