On 29 Aug 2011, at 17:33, Harald Barth wrote:

> PS: Some years ago I did some benchmarking of AFS cache performance. I
> was astonished how much slower ext2 on ramdisk was compared to
> memcache. So the question is, how fast could a AFS disk cache be if it
> did not needed to bother with a file system and could use swap?

We've made significant improvements here with 1.6.0 - the performance of the
AFS cache is now similar to the performance of the file system which underlies
the cache. It's still slower than memcache (which has significantly less
overhead), but does have the advantage that you don't have to permanently
devote a chunk of your operating system's memory to the disk cache.

Creating a block-device based cache is often discussed. The idea here is that
you interface with the underlying storage at a block-based, rather than
file-based level. You'd split your device into chunk sized records, and simply
ship (portions of) those records to and from disk as required. Memory caching
would be performed by the operating system caching AFS pages, so this would
also avoid the double caching problem. It's a very interesting research project
for anyone that has the time to actually implement it.

Cheers,

Simon.