I was able to delete and re-create the foreign-realm group:

[root@afs1c afs]# pts delete system:authu...@ads.iu.edu -noauth [root@afs1c afs]# pts creategroup -name system:authu...@ads.iu.edu -owner system:administrators
group system:authu...@ads.iu.edu has id -207

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  listentries -groups
Name                          ID  Owner Creator
system:administrators       -204   -204    -204
system:backup               -205   -204    -204
system:anyuser              -101   -204    -204
system:authuser             -102   -204    -204
system:ptsviewers           -203   -204    -204
system:authu...@ads.iu.edu   -207   -204       2

The command prdb_check -verbose -entries turns up a database item for this group, apparently with the correct id:

Entry at 67136: flags 0x2, id -207i, next 0.
c:09/22 11:51:47 a:time-not-set   r:time-not-set   n:time-not-set
hash (id 0 name 0).  Owner -204i, creator 2i
quota groups 0, foreign users 0.  Mem: 0, inst: 0
Owned chain 0, next owned 66368, inst ptrs(0 0 0).
Name is 'system:authu...@ads.iu.edu'

But pts examine is still apparently looking at system:authuser, as if not understanding the foreign-realm group name:

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  examine system:authu...@ads.iu.edu
Name: system:authuser, id: -102, owner: system:administrators, creator: system:administrators,
 membership: 0, flags: S-M--, group quota: 0.

Similarly, fs setacl merely adds the group system:authuser to the ACL, again as if not understanding the group name:

[root@afs1c afs]# fs  listacl  /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu
Access list for /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu is
Normal rights:
 system:administrators rlidwka
 system:authuser rlidwka
 dantolov rlidwka

[root@afs1c afs]# fs setacl -dir /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu -acl system:authu...@ads.iu.edu rlidwka

[root@afs1c afs]#
[root@afs1c afs]# fs  listacl  /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu
Access list for /afs/afs1.bedrock.iu.edu is
Normal rights:
 system:administrators rlidwka
 system:authuser rlidwka
 system:authuser rlidwka
 dantolov rlidwka

Incidentally, this is openafs-1.6.0, which is not terribly old. Have there been any recent changes to the foreign-realm groups code?

Thanks,
Danko

Danko Antolovic wrote:
Another facet of the foreign-realm groups: when creating a foreign-realm group, I had to give it an explicit owner. The command "pts creategroup" reports the id -206 for the newly created group, and so does "pts listentries"; command "pts examine" shows the id -102, and the name of the existing group system:authuser.

I had completely removed the existing prdb.DB0, and was in the process of rebuilding it, when I noticed this anomaly. Does this mean that the foreign-realm group is screwed up, as before, or is there something wrong with "pts examine" ?

Below are the instructions, in the sequence in which I issued them.

Danko

[root@afs1c afs]# pts creategroup  system:authu...@ads.iu.edu
pts: Badly formed name (group prefix doesn't match owner?) ; unable to create group system:authu...@ads.iu.edu

[root@afs1c afs]# pts creategroup -name system:authu...@ads.iu.edu -owner system:administrators
group system:authu...@ads.iu.edu has id -206

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  examine system:authuser
Name: system:authuser, id: -102, owner: system:administrators, creator: system:administrators,
 membership: 0, flags: S-M--, group quota: 0.

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  examine system:authu...@ads.iu.edu
Name: system:authuser, id: -102, owner: system:administrators, creator: system:administrators,
 membership: 0, flags: S-M--, group quota: 0.

[root@afs1c afs]# pts  listentries -groups
Name                          ID  Owner Creator
system:administrators       -204   -204    -204
system:backup               -205   -204    -204
system:anyuser              -101   -204    -204
system:authuser             -102   -204    -204
system:ptsviewers           -203   -204    -204
system:authu...@ads.iu.edu   -206   -204       2

Andrew Deason wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:30:02 -0400