Think about what you would need to do if you were running with this
patch locally.  Every sysadmin that upgrades these servers must remember
that the patch is in place (or how the servers were built/configured)
and not forget.  If you leave tomorrow, is the next sysadmin going to be
burned by this change when s/he attempts to install openafs distributed
binaries in your cell?

You could make the same argument (that you're making) with
at least 5 other existing OpenAFS command-line or build-time
options.  Example: --enable-namei-fileserver vs. not, drop
on a server with existing vice partitions in the wrong
style.

Build/implementation decisions are encapsulated in build
scripts of ours.  Additionally, those decisions are documented
in our wiki.  If he/she hasn't read our internal documentation
about our cell, which is extensive and clear in our wiki, then
yes, he/she will get burned.

Just like he/she would with any other option for cell
or server configuration.