Thanks all.  This plan no longer sounds as nuts as it did at the start.

On 06/15/2013 04:50 AM, Neil Davies wrote:
We've been running AFS over ZFS over LUKS over EC2/EBS volumes for two years
now - with no incidents or issues.

I realise that sounds like a lot of indirection, but it meets our needs of
flexibility, security and cost.

This approach has also allowed us to incrementally upgrade as needed (replacing
underlying EBS volumes) and, through concurrency, get the throughputs we need.

Neil