Hi all,

I'm wondering if one has any "best practices" for handling Windows apps which
are incompatible with AFS's UNC paths.

We have found apps that are happy to save and work in AFS when it is mapped to
U:, but when pointed to \\afs\userhome they hang.

I believe this is well-known behavior and is documented in a Known Issues
section of the OpenAFS for Windows help file.

We have network users mapped to \\afs for significant portions of their home
directories (.\, Documents, Music, Desktop) on our Windows machines, and I'm
looking for a graceful way to tell Windows to access these common locations via
U: rather than via \\afs, so these programs (QtCreator and Ableton Live are
two) stop being unreliable for our users.

Perhaps there are places in our Windows logon scripts I can change.  I found
the deprecated options in OpenAFS to mount drive letters via the service, and
read about how this is no longer an option for us due to UAC & etc. in Windows
7 and beyond.

Does anyone have any pointers or redirects?

Thanks,
Tim Johnson
Stanford University