On 05/05/2016 02:31 PM, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
The OpenAFS Release Team is pleased to announce the availability of OpenAFS
version 1.6.18 for UNIX/Linux. Source files can be accessed via the web at:

   http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.6.18/

or via AFS at:

   /afs/grand.central.org/software/openafs/1.6.18/
  \\afs\grand.central.org\software\openafs\1.6.18\

There are no binaries yet. Those will be uploaded as they become available.

Besides various bug fixes, improvements in this prerelease include:

  * Support for Linux kernel 4.4 (but not 4.5)

  * Support for the latest FreeBSD releases

  * Support for building (but not yet packaging) on the latest OS X releases

  * Linux cache managers will return unused kernel memory earlier and
    in smaller chunks, lowering memory use for vcaches and avoiding
    stalls

For the full list of user visible changes foreseen for 1.6.18, please see

   http://dl.openafs.org/dl/1.6.18/RELNOTES-1.6.18

Bug reports should be filed to openafs-b...@openafs.org .

Stephan Wiesand, 1.6 Branch Release Manager,
on behalf of the OpenAFS Release Team

Thanks for this update - One of the items I see in the 1.6.18 Release Notes

* Support for mainline kernel 4.4 and distribution kernels with
      backports from it, alas at a performance penalty (12226 12227 12228)
      (RT #132677 #132819)

I've heard that the performance penalty here is roughly 50% - Is this correct?

I've also heard that this is fixed in the Auristor client - Is this correct?

Thanks,

Rich

--
Rich Sudlow