I know the current best-practice for changing the IP addresses of AFS database servers is don't do it.

But assuming that I want/need to change IPs and have available hardware, is the use of clone dbservers the preferred method? I can tolerate short service interruptions of up to a few minutes as long as they're planned for low-utilization times.

Initial condition is 3 dbservers ("OLD") located via AFSDB & SRV, running 1.6.x. Desired final condition is 3 dbservers ("NEW") with different IP addresses, also running 1.6.x (for now).

I'm roughing out a procedure, but my current thinking involves..

 add 3 NEW dbservers as r/o clones (restarting db procs)
 modify DNS to show all 6 IPs.
 'fs newcell' or restart all afsd's (including on servers)

swap clone/non-clone roles so that NEW dbservers are r/w and OLD dbservers are r/o clones (restarting db procs). At this point, sync must be a non-clone, r/w "NEW" server. Verify with udebug. Any client afsd's not restarted/newcell'ed won't be able to make pt/vl changes.

 modify DNS to show only 3 NEW IPs
 'fs newcell' or restart of all afsd's (including on servers)

remove 3 OLD dbservers which must be r/o clones (restarting db procs). Any client afsd's not restarted/newcell'ed won't be able to query pt/vlservers.

Because it could take some time to restart/newcell all clients, I'm thinking of doing the clone addition/dns steps then waiting some time (week+) before doing the role swap and second dns change. Then waiting another period of time (week+) before doing the last removal.

I'm assuming that I can use -auditlog (or even a packet sniffer) to see what clients might still be using the OLD dbservers prior to the final decommissioning.

Seems a bit too simple. What am I missing?

Cheers,
Stephen