Recently I decided to play around with some alternative architectures on
fedora with virt-manager/qemu. So I set up some power machines. (ppc64 and
ppc64le)
I also made some arm machines but I gather openafs isn't quite ready yet
for arm in 1.6.22.2.

I was able to compile openafs rpms for ppc64.  I did not try ppc64le yet.
Its very slow to build in a emulator. Surprisingly openafs builds and I am
able to start the service and list afs directories. But I can't
authenticate to kerberos like I can on x86_64. I feel like I'm missing
something basic but I'm unsure what it is.

When I run kinit on x86_64, I get

[gsgatlin@t540p ~]$ kinit gsgatlin
Password for gsgat...@eos.ncsu.edu:
[gsgatlin@t540p ~]$ klist
Ticket cache: KCM:1000
Default principal: gsgat...@eos.ncsu.edu

Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
03/03/2018 09:55:22  03/04/2018 07:10:22  krbtgt/eos.ncsu....@eos.ncsu.edu
renew until 03/10/2018 09:55:17

but on ppc64 emulator, I get

[gsgatlin@localhost bin]$ kinit gsgatlin
Password for gsgat...@eos.ncsu.edu:
[gsgatlin@localhost bin]$ klist
Ticket cache: KCM:1000:53854
Default principal: @EOS.NCSU.EDU

Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
03/03/2018 09:56:23  03/04/2018 07:11:23  krbtgt/eos.ncsu....@eos.ncsu.edu
for client gsgat...@eos.ncsu.edu, renew until 03/10/2018 09:56:17

Notice the default principal says  @EOS.NCSU.EDU instead of
gsgat...@eos.ncsu.edu like it did on x86_64.

So when I run aklog on ppc64 it fails

[gsgatlin@localhost bin]$ aklog -d -c eos.ncsu.edu -k EOS.NCSU.EDU
Authenticating to cell eos.ncsu.edu (server eos01db.unity.ncsu.edu).
We were told to authenticate to realm EOS.NCSU.EDU.
Getting tickets: afs/eos.ncsu....@eos.ncsu.edu
Kerberos error code returned by get_cred : -1765328243
aklog: Couldn't get eos.ncsu.edu AFS tickets:
aklog: unknown RPC error (-1765328243) while getting AFS tickets

but on x86_64 (either on virt-manager or a real pc) I get

[gsgatlin@t540p ~]$ aklog -d -c eos.ncsu.edu -k EOS.NCSU.EDU
Authenticating to cell eos.ncsu.edu (server eos01db.unity.ncsu.edu).
We were told to authenticate to realm EOS.NCSU.EDU.
Getting tickets: afs/eos.ncsu....@eos.ncsu.edu
Using Kerberos V5 ticket natively
About to resolve name gsgatlin to id in cell eos.ncsu.edu.
Id 19149
Set username to AFS ID 19149
Setting tokens. AFS ID 19149 @ eos.ncsu.edu

Here is a link to my /etc/krb5.conf file on both systems:

https://pastebin.com/3HHP15c0

Does anyone know why it would work on one architecture (x86_64) but fail on
another (ppc64) ? Is my /etc/krb5.conf missing something? kinit is provided
by red hat so I think I can't have messed up that particular binary.

[gsgatlin@localhost bin]$ which kinit
/usr/bin/kinit
[gsgatlin@localhost bin]$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/kinit
krb5-workstation-1.15.2-7.fc27.ppc64

Thanks a lot for any ideas anyone may have.  I feel like I was close to
getting everything working.