Hi Steve,

Virtualization is fine and in many ways is preferred for OpenAFS file
servers because the fileserver process is incapable of leveraging more
than 1.7 processors threads due to lock and other resource contention.
Compared to the bare metal a virtualized system might reduce overall
throughput by 6%. On the flip side its nearly impossible to purchase a
two processor thread system these days.  The maximize the capabilities
of the hardware host multiple VMs each with two processor threads.
For vice partitions ext4 formatted iscsi block storage can be used.

When purchasing hardware for OpenAFS, minimize the number of processor
threads and obtain the fastest clock speeds available. The number of
packets per second that can be sent and received is directly
proportional to the processor clock speed.

On the other hand, if the hardware is going to be purchased with the
intention of eventually deploying AuriStorFS servers on it, maximize the
number of processor threads and use more power efficient processors with
lower clock speeds.  AuriStorFS servers unlike OpenAFS can make use of
as much CPU and I/O bandwidth as is available.

Jeffrey Altman