Ciprian Craciun:

Well, I base this supposition on my simple observation with OpenAFS's own client which is also out-of-tree and requires custom module builds (via DKMS or equivalent).

For example I use OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release), and sometimes I need to delay my updates until the distribution manages to get the modules ready (with the latest Linux kernel).

Ah, OK, I see. Yeah, I also sometimes see this with the OpenAFS module on Debian *testing*, where it can happen that the kernel is too new so that the module doesn't build until a compatibilty fix is released. I usually swtich to the in-kernel AFS module temporarily in these cases.

However, this never happened on Debian *stable*, neither for OpenAFS, nor for ZFS.

Bye...

    Dirk

--
Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinri...@altum.de>