Dirk Heinrichs:

    Because you deleted the wrong key. The AFS principal should be named
    "afs/<domain>@<REALM>".  Just follow the instructions in
    https://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/HDRWQ50.html, under "Generating
    the Cell's Kerberos V5 Keys", but replace "/usr/afs/etc" with
    "/etc/openafs/server", which is used on Debian/Ubuntu, and you should be
    all set.

Thanks. According to the afs-newcell script requirements banner, it would
be acceptable to use `afs` instead of afs/asus.erjoalgo.com` as the
principal.

    If your cell's name is the same as your Kerberos realm then create a
principal called afs.
    Otherwise, create a principal called afs/cellname in your realm

I must admit that it is hard to know which guides to follow. I'm aware of
docs.openafs.org, but since I'm on debian I was looking for something more
debian-specific. Most guides and even some commands inside openafs, help
strings, docs are somewhat outdated with respect to the use of DES keys.

For example, the afs-newcell says:

    2) You need to create the single-DES AFS key and load it into
       /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile.  ... You can use asetkey from the
openafs-krb5 package, or
       if you used AFS3 salt to create the key, the bos addkey command.

Also, I have learned that `bos listkeys` will only list DES keys, which was
confusing.

If I try to follow docs.openafs.org it is not clear which parts are covered
by afs-newcell, afs-rootvol, etc and should be skipped. I also appreciate
having a simple script to run when setting up a new AFS cell, so I would
like to stick with debian packaging and scripts if possible.

I was able to run the afs-newcell script, I only had to modify my
/etc/hosts to add my FQDN as an alias for 127.0.0.1.

However, running `afs-rootvol` fails:

    █[asus][~][0]$ sudo kinit root/admin
    Password for root/ad...@asus.erjoalgo.com:
    █[asus][~][25]$ sudo aklog -d
    Authenticating to cell asus.erjoalgo.com (server asus.erjoalgo.com).
    Trying to authenticate to user's realm ASUS.ERJOALGO.COM.
    Getting tickets: afs/asus.erjoalgo....@asus.erjoalgo.com
    We've deduced that we need to authenticate to realm ASUS.ERJOALGO.COM.
    Getting tickets: afs/asus.erjoalgo....@asus.erjoalgo.com
    Getting tickets: a...@asus.erjoalgo.com
    Using Kerberos V5 ticket natively
    About to resolve name root.admin to id in cell asus.erjoalgo.com.
    Id 1
    Setting tokens. root.admin @ asus.erjoalgo.com
    █[asus][~][16]$ sudo afs-rootvol --requirements-met --server
asus.erjoalgo.com
    What partition? [a]

    vos create asus.erjoalgo.com a root.cell -localauth
    Volume 536870915 created on partition /vicepa of asus.erjoalgo.com
    fs mkm /afs/asus.erjoalgo.com/.root.afs root.afs -rw
    fs: You don't have the required access rights on '/afs/
asus.erjoalgo.com/.root.afs'
    Failed: 256

    Root volume setup failed, ABORTING
    vos remove asus.erjoalgo.com a root.cell -localauth
    Volume 536870915 on partition /vicepa server asus deleted
    █[asus][~][0]$ sudo kinit root/admin
    Password for root/ad...@asus.erjoalgo.com:
    █[asus][~][130]$ sudo aklog
    █[asus][~][4]$ sudo afs-rootvol --requirements-met --server
asus.erjoalgo.com  --partition=a

    vos create asus.erjoalgo.com a root.cell -localauth
    Volume 536870918 created on partition /vicepa of asus.erjoalgo.com
    fs sa /afs system:anyuser rl
    fs:'/afs': Connection timed out
    Failed: 256

    Root volume setup failed, ABORTING
    vos remove asus.erjoalgo.com a root.cell -localauth
    Volume 536870918 on partition /vicepa server asus deleted
    █[asus][~][0]$ ls /afs

I don't understand what this means:

    fs: You don't have the required access rights on '/afs/
asus.erjoalgo.com/.root.afs'

sudo klist shows that the default principal is the root/admin principal
specified earlier when running afs-newcell:

    █[asus][~][130]$ sudo klist
    Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
    Default principal: root/ad...@asus.erjoalgo.com

    Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
    06/02/2024 11:43:36  06/02/2024 21:43:36  krbtgt/
asus.erjoalgo....@asus.erjoalgo.com
    06/02/2024 11:44:32  06/02/2024 21:43:36  a...@asus.erjoalgo.com
    █[asus][~][0]$

I also don't understand the connection-timed out:

      fs:'/afs': Connection timed out

I found the error in this post:

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/gco/archive/pipermail/openafs-info/2003-October/011026.html

But I'm not sure I understand the suggested solution that references
bringing up a cache manager. I don't really understand what is going on.
Perhaps it would be better to try to set things up step by step and avoid
the debian scripts.

Ernesto