On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:44:37PM -0700, Dean Patterson wrote:
> Hello Digimer,
>
> >From what I gathered, corosync is a subset of openais meant for
> >situations that do not require the full openais standard.  They are
> >the communications layer for pacemaker.  I am using drbd so
> >corosync is the layer between drbd and pacemaker that gives me the
> >cluster resource management.  Any corrections to this would be
> >great as I am also still learning, but I think this is the gist of
> >it.

It depends on what version of "openais" we are talking about. Let me
explain, and Steve can chime in with further clarification if needed.

In the past (pre 1.0 release) there was just openais. It contained
executable code, an implementation of TOTEM, a handful of SA Forum
services. etc. During the development phase of corosync/openais 1.0,
the old "openais" project was split into two new projects:

1. Corosync - the executables code, TOTEM implementation, CPG, etc.
2. OpenAIS - only SA Forum services (ie. CKPT, LCK, MSG, etc.)

In its present form (1.x), openais is just a collection of libraries that
implemented SA Forum services. These libraries can be loaded and used
within corosync. Thus openais depends on corosync.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the "old" openais (pre
1.0) is all inclusive -- it contains everything. Yet when the project
split, openais kept its name.

Does this make sense?

Ryan