On 5/25/2010 at 10:06 AM, Alan Jones <falanclus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any interest in a kernel watchdog timer for corosync and, if so,
> where should it be petted?
> I did a simple test of killing the corosync 1.2.1 daemon in a pacemaker
> configuration with shared storage.
> Sure enough, the node is declared offline which presents a potential for
> corruption.
> I know that a stonith device should protect you, but it seems to me that a
> watchdog timer would add another layer of protection.
> A traditional place to pet the watchdog might be in the receive path,
> assuming that there is some loopback message transmitted in regular
> intervals.

For pacemaker on corosync with shared storage, look at:

  http://linux-ha.org/wiki/SBD_Fencing

SBD will kill the node if it needs to be STONITH'd, and the SBD daemon
can use the watchdog so the system will be killed if *it* dies.

(Not that this helps corosync in general outside pcmk clusters :))

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Serong <tser...@novell.com>
Senior Clustering Engineer, OPS Engineering, Novell Inc.