On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Whit Blauvelt <w...@transpect.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 11:45:22AM +1000, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>
>> Being a generic cluster manager, rather than purpose-built for a specific
>> app like a filesystem or database, we don't get involved with things like
>> data replication or anything else that requires an understanding of the
>> services we're managing. This puts a natural limit on the kinds of
>> scenarios we can be involved in.
>>
>> I guess you could say that we aim for "fits-most". But its a free world,
>> people are entitled to build/deploy whatever solution they like.
>
> Thanks for the clarifications. I do appreciate all the discussion following
> my initial question. It helps a lot with the overview.
>
> Here's my admittedly naive concern. In aiming to be "fits-most" Pacemaker
> has become something very complex.

Most of the complexity actually comes with supporting >2 nodes.
I've written more coherently on the topic previously:

http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/178680309/configuring-heartbeat-v1-was-so-simple

But without doubt Pacemaker is more complex than a purpose built solution.
The question, which only you can answer, is whether its going to be
"cheaper" to build and maintain a custom solution or to use something
off the shelf (all-be-it with a non-trivial learning curve).

Btw. have you read Clusters from Scratch?
It's at http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/ and is probably the closest to
the type of book you mention below unless you read German.
Oh, there is also
http://oss.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/pacemaker/2010-February/005179.html
which can be purchased in paper form.

-- Andrew