On 09/02/2011 12:59 AM, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to further investigate problem I described at
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2011-August/msg00133.html
>
> The main problem for me there is that pacemaker first sees transitional
> membership with left nodes, then it sees stable membership with that
> nodes returned back, and does nothing about that. On the other hand,
> dlm_controld sees CPG_REASON_NODEDOWN events on CPGs related to all its
> lockspaces (at the same time with transitional membership change) and
> stops kernel part of each lockspace until whole cluster is rebooted (or
> until some other recovery procedure which unfortunately does not happen

I believe fenced should reboot the node, but only if there is quorum.
It is possible your cluster has lost quorum during this series of
events.  I have copied Dave for his feedback on this point.

> :( ). It neither requests to fence left node nor recovers when node is
> returned on next stable membership.
>
> Could anyone please help me to understand, what is a correct CPG
> behavior on membership change?
> From what I see, CPG emits CPG_REASON_NODEDOWN event on both
> transitional and stable membership if there is node which left the
> cluster. Am I correct here? And is that a right thing if I am?

Line #'s where this happens?

> If yes, is there a way do detect membership change type (transitional pr
> stable) through CPG API?

A transitional membership will always contain a subset of the previous
regular membership.  This means it will always contains 0 or more left
members.  A transitional membership means "The membership of nodes
transitioning from previous regular membership to new regular mebmership".

A regular configuration is where members are added to the configuration
when detected.  A transitional membership never has nodes added to it.

> Hoping for answer,

It would be nice if cpg and totem had a direct relationship in how their
transitional and regular configurations were generated, but this doesn't
happen currently.  I am not sure if there is a good reason for this.

Regards
-steve