On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM, David Osguthorpe
<david.osgutho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 01:33:06PM -0800, Jonas Baltrusaitis wrote:
> > I second Konstantin. Typical calculations yields values of, say,
> > -1000.000000 Hartrees, in kcal it would be x627.5 which would be
> > unreasonably large and uncomfortable number.
>
> on the other hand if Im comparing energies of different conformers where
> energy
> differences of kT are experimentally significant
> such differences are unreasonably small in Hartree (0.001)

At the end of the day, these are all problems with representation. The
format readers are concerned with storage. If you want your energies
in different units, that's an issue for the program that's
implementing OB. Right now it would break a lot of things to change
the default units, and for the purposes of storage, no one unit is
better than another. Just convert the energies when you use them.

Dave