Feature Requests item #3187031, was opened at 2011-02-19 11:41
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by sethcall
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=428743&aid=3187031&group_id=40728

not just the latest update.
Category: Documentation
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Openbabel is advertised as an open source application that supports quantum
chemistry packages like Gamess, Gaussian, and NWChem.  Can you please provide
better documentation for these types of quantum packages?

I'm developing an open source application at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/atomicglobalmin/ .  This program has built in
functions for reading and writing Gaussian files, and I would like to use
openbabel to support additional packages.  It has been very challenging to
learn how to use open babel with these packages.  Here are some specific
questions:

1. How to read the SCF energy (without the rotational or vibrational energy).
2. How to create an input file with a method and basis set

Is the first item supported with openbabel?  The second one is described at
http://openbabel.org/wiki/Keywords.  When I first read this, I thought it would
help me set these keywords and write an input file in for a user specified
quantum chemistry program.  After looking through the example, I'm not sure
this is the case.  Does openbabel do this?  If it doesn't that's fine, but I
would like to know.  If it does, I would like to know how to do it?

Thanks for writing an opensource application that provides such great
cross-platform support!