I subscribe to "A Word A Day" (http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html), and
today's word is "obtest". When I saw the daily email's subject line, I was
expecting it to be from this group.

Cheers,
Craig

--------------------------

WORD OF THE DAY: obtest

PRONUNCIATION:
(ob-TEST)

MEANING:
verb tr.1. To invoke as a witness. 2. To implore or beseech.
verb intr. 3. To protest. 4. To plead.

ETYMOLOGY:
 From Latin obtestari (to implore, affirm, protest), from ob- (on, over), from
testari (to bear witness or to make a will), from testis (witness). Ultimately
from the Indo-European root trei- (three), which is also the source of three,
sitar, trivia (from trivium, place where three roads meet), trivial, troika,
trivet, testimony, testament, attest, testify (to be the third person: to bear
witness), triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13), tercel (the male of a
hawk), and trammel (restraint, shackle, net). Earliest documented use: 1548.

USAGE:
"But I obtest, dear readers, I know nothing of any previous correspondence."
Peter Hawes; Turakina Beach, Village of Thieves?; Manawatu Standard (New
Zealand); Jul 8, 2008.