On 17 August 2011 15:27, Geoffrey Hutchison <ge...@geoffhutchison.net> wrote:
>> Would it break the API to add another value for the enum
>> OBStereo::Winding? Current values are Clockwise and AntiClockwise: I'd
>> like to add Unknown.
>
> Are you asking for 2.3 or trunk? For trunk the answer is "no problem." For
> 2.3, it's a bit trickier, but KDE seems to imply that extending an enum
> doesn't break ABI:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Binary_Compatibility_Issues_With_C%2B%2B
>
> Certainly it doesn't break API either -- as long as you're adding to the end
> of the list, you haven't changed the meaning of the existing values --
> basically the enum is a human-readable way of giving names to integers.

I guess I'm talking about 2.3, but of course I'll make the changes in
trunk. There will be a number of code changes associated with this to
allow the various stereo formats to handle this correctly. I'll mark
all of these with something obvious in the commit message (e.g. "NEW
STEREO ENUM") so that you can choose not to merge them if you wish.

- Noel