I've done a lot of debugging in chains.cpp, but don't have time for a few days.
It's sorta like a specialized SMILES/SMARTS parser.

>     result = DetermineHetAtoms(mol)          && result;
>     result = DetermineConnectedChains(mol)   && result;
>     result = DeterminePeptideBackbone(mol)   && result;
>     result = DeterminePeptideSidechains(mol) && result;

So based on your comment, everything before this seems to be OK? (i.e., returns
a positive result). Then DeterminePeptideSidechains() which calls
IdentifyResidue() returns 0?

-Geoff

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011