Now added in r4898. Option "S" for read or write gives former 2.3.1 behaviour.

"obabel -:C/C=C/Cl -omol" still includes a warning message as follows:

*** Open Babel Warning  in OpenBabel::MDLFormat::WriteMolecule
  No 2D or 3D coordinates exist. Stereochemical information will be stored using
 an Open Babel extension. To generate 2D or 3D coordinates instead use
--gen2D or --gen3D.

- Noel