> formation. While the coding is available and straightforward, I don't
> know whether the OB policy allows one to read an additional file in
> order to get these numbers.

These are done through the various "table" classes. See src/data.cpp for
examples (i.e., periodic table in OBElementTable).

I can't remember -- aren't these basis set and functional-dependent? I think
there's a similar problem for computed NMR shifts.

> 2. If OB in this manner can produce the TRUE heat of formation, it may
> cause confusion, because the energy types which are reported based on
> Gaussian files now are also called heats of formation - but they are not.

I don't think anyone really uses the Gaussian energies. But I don't think this
is an insurmountable problem. I know that Chris Morley, among others, would be
very happy to get absolute heats of formation.

So, in short, this sounds like a great addition.

Thanks,
-Geoff