Hi Geoff,

The Confab branch is ready for merging, or at least consideration for
merging, to the master. I would appreciate if you could check it out
and let me know if you want any clarification. I've left the confab
and calcrmsd executables in there, but I plan to remove them as they
are replaced by the --confab op and -oconfabreport format.

One possible bone of contention is that I have changed IsSetupNeeded()
for forcefields to always return true. I had some discussion on the
list about this several years ago after it caused me to lose a couple
of days chasing a segfault where Setup was needed but the function
returned false - I was pretty annoyed at the time so I didn't push the
issue. In short, I don't think that this function should be part of
OB; I think that it is the client's responsibility to implement a
function like this if it wants to (e.g. Avogadro actually knows
whether a molecule has been changed). A compromise would be to have
some sort of flag or option to force this function to be ignored.

I don't think there's not much else there that people might disagree
with. There were some changes to reduce torsions based on graph
symmetry. There actually was code in rotor.cpp and friends to do this
but it was disabled. Furthermore it detected graph symmetry by
applying the torsion and checking the RMSDs, rather than, well, using
graph symmetry.

Regards,
   Noel