On 2015-02-09 19:12, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
>> 1) Is this correct? Shouldn't it be Td?
>
> It will depend on the coordinates. The code is really "brute force" and
> doesn't always pick up full symmetry.
>
> We'd love to have better symmetry perception code, but everything I've seen
> is either Java or Fortran. These codes would need porting.

How much code would be involved?

>> 2) Can I extract the symmetry number based on the point group? Or is
>> there another way?

In order to compute rotational entropy of molecules the rotational
symmetry number sigma_rot must be known, as it contributes
significantly, by -R ln sigma

For instance we have a bunch of Gaussian calculations where this is
incorrect. For methane the symmetry number is 12. which yields a
correction of ~ -20 J/mol K. We have to apply this for ~2000 molecules
so automation is needed.

> What do you mean by the "symmetry number?" Do you mean the order of the point
> group?
>
> Thanks,
> -Geoff

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se