I'm confused... I just tested creating an OBMol with a PDB with ~32K atoms and
it worked.
I definitely remember reading discussion where Noel was mentioning a limit
(that at this point can't be 1k atoms) but I can't find it since Sourceforge
seems to be down for maintenance.

In any case, dealing with proteins using chains can be a good choice to
simplify the workflow (at least in my experience).

----
Stefano Forli, PhD

 Staff Scientist
 Molecular Graphics Laboratory