On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanw...@kitware.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Noel O'Boyle <baoille...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I propose moving the MSVC-specific 3rd party libs, dlls and include
> > files to a separate git submodule. Or perhaps just a separate repo (to
> > avoid needless downloading for Linux/Mac users).
> >
> > One motivating factor is that I see in the future the need to check in
> > multiple versions of C++ libraries for each MSVC version; this is not
> > an issue with libxml and friends as these are C (not C++) libraries,
> > but jsoncpp.lib will need this. Additionally, if I want Appveyor to
> > automatically build the GUI, I'll need a compiler specific build of
> > wxWidgets and it just seems too much to have these in the current
> > repo.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> I think this is the way to go, and for the Avogadro development (along
> with several other projects) we use a similar approach. Open Babel is
> an inner project, a larger outer project will build the dependencies
> and Open Babel. This is actually used for packaging on most platforms.
>
> Keeping binaries in source repositories is generally not ideal, but if
> you need to do it I think a separate repository for that purpose would
> be best.

+1 on that suggestion/request. Many/most of us have no use for any
particular binary, and don't want our downloads to include them.

We put our binaries (data files, spreadsheets, binaries) on an ordinary
file server. A "current" symbolic link that points to the latest version
simplifies fetches, but lets us keep old versions too. Then we put scripts
into the git source repository that know how to reliably fetch the binary
files as needed, e.g. "make install" can compile code and fetch the
required data files or libraries.

Craig