Sorry, I thought I was clear about this. You could, in principal change the
maximum number of bonds in data/elements.txt (e.g. that you want to allow up to
3 bonds to an oxygen).

ConnectTheDots would respect this.

But I don’t think it’s a good general idea, because you’d frequently get
spurious bonds. It would allow *all* oxygens to have up to 3 bonds, not just
H3O+. Instead, I’m suggesting you either implement an additional pass in
ConnectTheDots (i.e., before a bond is removed, check if it’s an H3O+) or a
separate pass entirely, like the bond analysis for OBResidue.

There are a few other strategies to bond perception in the literature, but they
seem like research projects. I’d be happy to point to papers if you’re
interested and have a student or someone else willing to see what works.

-Geoff

>> The maximum number of bonds for a particular element is defined in
>> data/elements.txt (i.e. OBElement::MaxBonds()
>> http://openbabel.org/dev-api/classOpenBabel_1_1OBElement.shtml)

> I implemented a call to ConnectTheDots but it does not add any more
> bonds. According to the documentation for this routine
..