Dear Prachi,

I'm happy to hear from you. Certainly your expertise in machine learning,
statistics, and graph theory are helpful for the fragment-based coordinate
generation project.

Every student interested in GSoC should apply as suggested on the Open
Chemistry wiki:
http://wiki.openchemistry.org/Applying_to_GSoC

There are a few general approaches to generating molecular coordinates,
including rule-based atom-by-atom approaches, distance-geometry (review article
attached) and fragment-based databases (also attached). Right now, Open Babel
uses atom-by-atom approaches combined with a small fragment database.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jk3s6izmwpgiir7/Mol.%20Inf.%202010%20Agrafiotis.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nywmn8sgfehfeyx/Reviews%20in%20Computational%20Chemistry%201994%20Blaney.PDF?dl=0

Fragment databases:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k5wd794zs4vjko/ci4005282.pdf?dl=0

Both approaches can be optimized using OpenCL or OpenMP implementations. Both
approaches could be highly augmented with machine learning or statistical
models (e.g., Bayesian inference). Those latter points would be research
projects - more than just a summer code project.

Please take a look at the wiki guide to an application, and we look forward to
reviewing your proposal. If you have questions, please ask.

Best regards,
-Geoff
http://doodle.com/geoffhutchison