Hi all,

Geoff has prompted me to look into sorting out the "pip install pybel"
versus "pip install openbabel" problem.

Talking to Matt Swain he pointed out that our install procedure is a
bit non-standard in the first place. So I'm suggesting changing things
to having a folder (i.e. Python package) named openbabel with our
associated files below this. This would mean "from openbabel install
pybel" or "from openbabel import openbabel". Note that the other
project PyBEL uses "import pybel" so I think we should avoid any sort
of convenience import and keep it namedspaced.

If this is a major migration problem for a particular user, they can
set PYTHONPATH to point into the folder directly and everything will
work as before.

I was wondering if anyone would like to volunteer to sort this out? A
suggestion would be to create the necessary folders and __init__.py in
the source tree in advance so that minimal changes to the various
setup.pys would be needed to get things working.

On a separate note, do people think it appropriate to contact the
other project and point out the name clash and see if they would be
willing to change? This is nothing to do with "pip" per se, just
avoiding confusing users who google the phrase Pybel. :-)

Regards,
- Noel