Hi all,

Geoff asked me to bring up the discussion of a release schedule for OB 3.0.
It's been so long since the last release, that it's become painful for us
to do a release, which is a bit of a vicious cycle as you can imagine.
So....

I have some time to do this now (with help I hope!) so I'm going to
randomly suggest that every Friday until finished, we do a release. Every
Monday morning, I'll bump the version and tag that git revision, and
between then and end of Friday we'll try and get all parts of the release
done.

So next Friday we do a release - it might be 3.0a, and the release notes
out of date, Python 2 unsupported and conda only working on Linux. And the
following Friday - it might be 3.0a2, but most parts of the release have
been automated and updated. And so on, until we have 3.0 - the goal is the
last Friday of September.

The reason we need to do this is that we need to start oiling our release
procedures, and get things automated (as much as possible). Get release
scripts together - check them in somewhere - and make it so that creating a
release is not painful. Frequent releases are a great spur to doing this
even if only alpha releases.

With this in mind, I'm going to suggest that we feature freeze and focus on
release blockers. We shouldn't be dogmatic (e.g. I note that I have already
agreed to review/merge David Koes mega PR) but we should try to avoid
making the documentation out-of-date during the release procedure. If
everything gets super automated, it will not be difficult to do another
point release in 3 or 6 months so no-one should panic that their work will
have to wait for another 3 years.

So if people want to help we will need testers for the conda packages, the
snap packages, the Python binaries, etc., etc. Does it build on Ubuntu?
Does it build on Arch? Help updating the documentation would be much
appreciated - you can do this directly on the github repo. If you want to
help but don't know how/where, just email the list - there are many things
that we would do if we had more time, so don't hold back.

Geoff - does this sound reasonable? I can send to openbabel-discuss also if
it's okay.

Regards,
   Noel