In my opinion, if the only fractional value will be 1.5 then non-integer bond orders aren't worth the pain of breaking compatibility since this state can be (and is, for rings) represented by setting the aromatic property of the bond. Perhaps we should provide additional, more nuanced properties to indicate resonance vs aromaticity?

If there is a reason for fractions other than 1.5, then I think this should be a separate property entirely (e.g., like formal charges vs partial charges).

I would point out that although O=CO is represented with a double and single bond, the oxygens still get an identical partial charge as the carboxylic acid group is recognized as such:
print(pybel.readstring('smi','O=CO').write('mol2'))

David Koes

Associate Professor
Computational & Systems Biology
University of Pittsburgh