On 12/03/2012 23:18, baratron wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to find the quickest way to get ligands from the PDB website into
> .mol2 format for use in another program.

  If I run the OpenBabel program from command line, I get lots of
> warning messages:
> ==============================
> *** Open Babel Warning  in Expand
>    Alias CL1 was not chemically interpreted
>

> And then the output .mol2 file is missing all of the information about
> chemical elements. They are all replaced with dummy atoms:
>        1 XX          6.3250   11.0900   22.6650 Du      1  LIG1        0.0000
>        2 XX          4.6490   11.0350   23.3060 Du      1  LIG1        0.0000
>        3 XX          4.0200    9.8040   23.4780 Du      1  LIG1        0.0000
> etc.
>
> I searched on Google and the Nabble site&  couldn't find anyone else having
> problems converting from .sdf to .mol2. I'm assuming there's something
> "special" or "different" about the ligand .sdf files from the PDB website,
> but I don't know what that is.

The entries in the SDF file like

A   14
C5'

are being interpreted as an alternative representation (alias) rather
than additional information (atom types?), which OpenBabel does not
understand. It sets the original atom to 0 atomic number, which is
perhaps unnecessary. The is now altered in the development code, so that
the basic structure is converted properly, although the warnings are
still there. Is there a need for an option to capture the additional
information?

Chris