Hi Geoff,

On 19.06.2012 18:57, Geoffrey Hutchison wrote:
>> I followed your advise. After editing the CMakeCache.txt and adding
>> the
>> compiler flags OpenMP is working for me. However, I would like to
>> avoid
>> this additional step by adding some conditional compilation lines to
>> the
>> CMakeLists.txt
>
> This seems reasonable, since OMP_NUM_THREADS is needed before the
> OpenMP portion actually runs.

In the email that I sent you, I explicitly declared how many cores to
use by setting the OMP_NUM_THREADS variable in my environment. However
the default behaviour for OpenMP is to use the maximum number of cores
available (in case no OMP_NUM_THREADS is enabled and code has been
compiled with OpenMP support and running in a multicore system with
GOMP)

So what I'm saying is that by adding those lines in CMakeLists.txt and
suggesting users to install OpenMP in their multicore computers, they
will benefit from multicore performance even if they don't set
OMP_NUM_THREADS.

>> I tried this lines with a fresh development version of OpenBabel and
>> it
>> seems to be working.  I tried both having a setup with GOMP
>> libraries
>> installed and one without. I also run the ctest for MMFF94 just to
>> be
>> sure everything was working.
>
> Good, thanks. I'll try adding it to the SVN development code and we
> can see how it does on the other test machines:
> http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=Open+Babel&display=project

Good thanks. I saw that you already added the lines and I also see the
test failed for some of the test machines:

http://my.cdash.org/testSummary.php?project=57&name=ffmmff94_Test&date=2012-06-20

However, I cannot see any particular information on why the test is
failing. Anyway I saw one of the systems failing is a MacOS X running
GCC.  I will borrow a MAC laptop here at work and try to replicate this
setting to find out if I can gain more insight.

>> run two instances of OBForceFieldMMFF94 are being created. I would
>> like
>> to understand why is that, because I thought only one was necessary
>> and
>> therefore I am confused about this.
>
> I don't know. You'd need to run a debugger or something like Valgrind
> to figure out what part of the code is creating each instance. In
> this
> particular code, only one instance should be created.

Yes. That's also what I thought and that's the reason why I asked you.
I created an static variable in OBForceFieldMMFF94 to count how many
times the class is being instantiated and I found it was two every time.
Either when running obminimize or the ctest for mmff94.  I will try the
debugger and see if I can figure out what is going on.

--
Omar V.M.