This is very helpful - thank you!
I was able to make a static libopenbabel on OS X 10.5 with eigen3 and
edited plugin.cpp.

Unfortunately there seem to be more problems with MinGW build - I'm
getting the following error - perhaps someone knows what to do:

[ 79%] Built target openbabel
[ 79%] Built target babel
Linking CXX executable ../bin/obabel.exe
CMakeFiles/obabel.dir/obabel.obj: In function `main':
c:/msys/1.0/home/igor/openbabel-svn/tools/obabel.cpp:304: undefined
reference to
 `DLHandler::findFiles(std::vector<std::string,
std::allocator<std::string> >&,
std::string const&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/obabel.exe] Error 1
make[1]: *** [tools/CMakeFiles/obabel.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Igor